I picked up some peach fabric awhile ago to make a summer top. It seems to be some sort of poly-crepe, so nothing special, but I really like the colour (which isn’t showing up well in these photos) and wanted to use it for just the right project. I eventually settled on a ruffled cami from The Great British Sewing Bee book, which is fairly basic, but I like the fact it’s not cut on the bias like the other cami patterns I own – they flare out too much for my taste. Once I’d attached the ruffle I thought it was a bit long so I trimmed a few cm. Then I hemmed it.
Hmmm, this fabric has quite a lot of body. The ruffle was sticking out at a strange angle and the ruffle is not really full enough in my opinion. I decided to unpick it and go for a plain look.
Its a bit tight in the bust, but should be better when I’m no longer breastfeeding. I like it and thinks it looks good with the shorts, however in real life it takes a bit of rearranging before it sits well tucked in, due to the fabric’s body.
I made the shorts too. They’re Simplicity which I’ve made three times before, here, here and here. They are the best fitting shorts I’ve made but the high waistband can be a little uncomfortable in some positions, or if I’ve eaten too much!
I really love this fabric, and I’m not alone. I’ve seen at least three other pics of it on instagram – used for both skirts and culottes. It’s Ottoman suiting from Spotlight which is a funny fabric to work with. It’s a bit slippery during cutting and can fray easily, but also ‘grips’ nicely when sewing due to the texture. I hand stitched a few places but the stitches don’t seem to hold that well – it feels like they slip right out despite being tied securely!
(The top pictured is a different one in these indoor photos btw).
I had barely enough to make the shorts and my stitching on the waistband was right up against the edge of the fabric.
Sometimes a lack of fabric can lead to fun combinations though..