This post is a few months old but I thought I would publish it anyway. Another version of the good old dart-less top from Simplicity/Cynthia Rowley 1366, this time made in a nice floaty fabric. Made before here and here. It was difficult to cut and sew as it’s shifty and frays easily, I did a terrible job hemming the sleeves but don’t want to cut them any shorter so have decided I’m cool with it.
I use my newly acquired rolled hem presser-foot – this was my first trial with it actually after some scrap fabric practicing. Id like to say I’ve gotten better with it, however it still gives me a bit of grief on floaty fabrics. You may be able to see below that the sleeve hem bells out a little!
It’s maybe a little short but will probably work if I get high waisted shorts (or abs!). I quite like it though and am a big fan of this orangey/coral colour right now. I could honestly just keep making versions of this pattern… so easy and so wearable.
This is a weird photo, buy hey.. here’s the back. And here’s a close up of the print/’my new baby’ photo.
..except Nina is not that new anymore and much bigger now!
I don’t think I’ll do a round-up post this year as I kept my sewing pretty basic in 2015 due to a fluctuating body shape. I am really keen to push myself this year with new techniques and perfecting those I know (like the rolled hem!). If anyone has suggestions of tricky projects I should try let me know. I’m thinking a winter coat might cover a few things at once like a bagged lining, welt pockets and some tailoring techniques. Keen to practice, practice, practice though – I made about 8 rolls of bias tape yesterday so I could figure out the best way to do it. In the end, all three versions I tried had benefits.
Hope you’ve all had a nice start to the year so far 🙂