Well I’ve finally gotten around to taking some photos of my sewing. Life has been particularly busy lately – I’ve started another semester at uni and a new job. I’ve landed a few hours a week in a marketing role thanks to a scholarship I won (they also paid for a years uni fees – woop!). It’s great opportunity to dip my toes in the water, and the company is really understanding about my other commitments but gawd… it is hard to juggle all that on top of being a mum! Let’s just say that the house could be cleaner.
I have still been finding time to sew though, for sanity’s sake. I made this skirt a couple of months ago. Penny bought the fabric along to one of our sewing collective’s meet ups and I thought it was quite cute. It’s not something I would usually choose, but that’s sort of the fun of fabric swaps I think.
I needed to test a pattern’s sizing for a different project, so decided to use the fabric as a wearable muslin. The pattern is from the mid 90s, and is pretty basic with three panels on the front, two on the back and a zip in the centre back seam. I used a size 6 which j-u-s-t fits. It’s just the top of the waistband where I can feel that it’s snug and I wouldn’t want to eat a big lunch in it!
Despite all the panels, I think I’ve lined up the print quite well. Admittedly this was an easy, and not that exciting, make.. but sometimes that is just what you need. And even though it’s a wearable muslin I actually prefer this to the ‘proper’ version that I’ll post here soon. I don’t think this is exactly my style, but it’s nice to have a different colour in my wardrobe.
Obviously I am pretending it’s not winter in these pictures!