Good morning! I have had an unusual start to the day (for me) – up at 6.30am with the rest of the family. I have to admit that Kelvin is usually responsible for feeding the animals and changing Harry while I lie in bed saying “10 more minutes, 10 more minutes…”. I even made it to the dog park before 8am then came home to a little sewing (so productive!). Before I took my maternity leave I imagined that every day was going to be like that. Hmm not so.
Anyway, this quick spot of sewing bought with it a revelation (and sadly not the kind that results in a nobel prize). So, the line on my sewing plate that I thought marked 5/8″, does not mark 5/8″, it is actually more like 3/8″. Actually there is no 5/8″ line, just a tiny marking – the lines all refer to centimetres. I have been using that pseudo 5/8″ line as my standard seam line since forever, which goes some way to explaining why most of the things I’ve made have been too big. Guys, this changes everything …
Anyway onto my dress.
I’ve had the fabric in my stash for a wee while – it’s perfectly fine fabric but just so boring. I’ve also had the pattern (Butterick 6582) awhile as I made the full skirted version a few years ago. Isn’t the cover illustration just to die for? Anyway, I thought the combination of the two might work (and was free) so I got stuck in.
This is a really easy pattern but of course there was a bit of alteration to be done (which in hindsight was obviously due to my stingy seam allowance). Luckily I just had to mess with the darts and side seams to get a not quite perfect but good enough for me result.
The fabric is a bit thick for the ruching at the shoulder seams, but it’s OK. This dress screams “office appropriate attire”, but I think it could become more exciting if I were to make a one shouldered version by loosing the left shoulder pattern piece and figuring out how to draft the back that way.
Anyway I am going to get back to my sewing – now with new, improved seam allowances.