Hi! Well I have done a few bits of sewing this week but don’t have anything finished to show yet. I was making a pair of shorts that I was hoping would become a wearable muslin, but my the random bits of material I had lying around don’t look as great as I’d hoped – I’m hoping the real thing turns out better. I have also been working on the ‘from a sewing book’ project for the monthly stitch. I am trying two different top patterns which are pretty simple really, but I am still managing to have problems!
My little boy turned 6 months old yesterday, woohoo! I thought I could show a few projects on here that I have made for his room. Full disclosure: I have copied some of these things from pinterest etc but I don’t have the links for them all anymore. I know that’s probably really bad but I made most of it awhile ago and I can’t be bothered trying to find it again online… but I promise I will put in links in the future!
Okay well this is a picture looking in the door of his room. I went a bit crazy hanging garlands up… I bought some cheap pom poms and threaded them onto wool and also cut out some felt stars and sewed them together in a strand. The bunting on the back wall is generic homemade stuff (probably every home seamstress has a few of these hanging up round the house). I painted the bear canvas, it’s pretty silly – Kelvin said it looks like a thumb. The lampshade idea is from an online tutorial – you basically construct loads of origami squares then hot glue them to a round paper lantern. Close up it’s far from perfect, but no one really sees this apart from us so I don’t care!
I also made the roman blinds although as soon as I started I regretted the print.. it’s just a bit too much! They are pretty easy to make but so hard to fit perfectly – working with large bits of fabric is not my favourite thing, measurements get way too difficult unless you have a decent workspace and tools. Kelvin and I also spent AGES painting all the furniture white, except those drawers you can see but we quite like them that way.
This is a bunch of soft toys I made – I started all the girls before he was born so I quickly made the boy one afterwards. Not that I am against boys with dolls or anything… I doubt he will care. I just realised that the Indian doll’s sari has slipped down – cheeky! There is also a Maori doll (complete with piu piu made from a coffee sack) and a fluro yellow haired lass. I got the pattern from here and the eyes from here which I embroidered/drew on. Those big eyes are a bit weird. These were fiddly sewing but I loved coming up with their outfits and fabric choices. The shoelaces are really cute and you can’t see it but the indian girl has a little gold bracelet which I take great joy in.
I made the stripey teddy from an old jumper and his neck was so floppy that I knitted the scarf to help stabilise it! I am an extremely novice knitter though and it has curled up terribly. The tiki was a piece of fabric a friend of mine screenprinted about 10 years ago – I blanket stitched it to the felt. These have a lot of flaws but they were fun!
Anyway, that is it – sorry if this is a baby spam post! Hopefully I get some sewing projects completed this week.