I thought I would post about a dress I have been working on… but not quite finished. It has been a labour of love over the last week – every time Harry went to sleep I would try to get a bit more done and I have been trying sooooo hard with this pattern. I am usually the queen of cutting corners, but the instructions actually include french seams and some other “fancy”/tidy techniques like a invisible zip so I decided that I would take my time with this and do all the proper things like grading seams and washing my fabric first. Yes, I have never washed my fabric first before. tut tut.
So the pattern is a Tracey Reese for Vogue, 1190, that I’ve had sitting around for awhile and the fabric is some I bought for a different project that I hadn’t gotten round to. Because it was slightly see through I underlined it with a white cotton. Having said that, I don’t really know if underlining is what I think it is… I basically just used an extra layer of fabric, but sewed the two as if they were one (except I sandwiched all the darts in the middle). I think the seams might be a bit bulky (even though I graded them – flash!!), but i’m not too bothered.
I’ve gotten to the point where I’ve just installed the zipper but still need to finish the zipper seams and hem, but I need a little more ease in the waist so am going to unpick it. …. and now that I’ve seen it on for the first time I am finding those ruffles a tad ridiculous! The bodice also needs to be taken in a bit at the shoulders.
So after all that hard work I am feeling a bit over it, but am going to put it aside for a day or two to do something more fun, then address the ease and perhaps remove the ruffles. Promise I will get back to it.. !!